In our upstairs bathroom, which is primarily used as a guest bathroom or when my other daughter comes home for a weekend visit, I needed to come up with a functional yet decorative way to keep bath towels in the bathroom because the space doesn’t have a lot of storage. I decided I would make a piece that could be displayed as a wall hanging, but it would also double as a towel rack for my daughter or our guests. After a few hours of thinking up designs, I had it..I would make a DIY Shutter towel rack!
Here are the items you will need to make this functional DIY Shutter Towel Rack wall hanging for your bathroom:
– House Shutters
– 8 big gardening hooks
– Screw driver
– 2 pieces of 1X2
– Nuts and bolts
Want to make it? Here are the steps:
1. Spray paint the shutters (I found two old plastic ones at a garage sale) before you do anything, this will get all of the surfaces covered so there is no white showing through on your finished product. I used Rust-Oleum® Universal Paint and Primer in One in a Hammered Brown. I find that you may pay a little more for it, but it has a texture to it and it also sticks to any surface.
2. Take the two painted shutters after they are dry and flip them over so the front is laying on your work surface. Clip the two shutters with a clamp and the 1X2 and drill four holes in the wood and shutters and fasten them together with the nuts and bolts.
3. After the shutters are secured together flip them over so you can start putting on the hooks. On the thick molding of the shutters place one hook on each side then, on the other shutter stagger where you put the other hooks so they aren’t right next to the hooks you just drilled in. Keep doing this until you have four sets of hooks with two hooks on each molding. Drill in the hooks after you have the hooks evenly spaced from one another.
4. Take the finished DIY Shutter Towel Rack into the bathroom you are going to hang it in and measure where you want to drill holes to hang the piece. After measuring and making sure the piece will be level, drill the holes into the wall and place screws or hooks into the holes so the piece can be hung.
5. Place your rolled up towels into the hooks and enjoy your functional but decorative new DIY Shutter Towel Rack !
Enjoy your DIY Shutter Towel Rack – Have a great Friday and happy crafting!