China Cabinet Makeover – Part II
Not sure if you recall, but back a while back we started a post about making an old china hutch new again. Our prior post focused on the top section of the china cabinet makeover part I, the section that holds the china (which we still are doing finishing touches). This post is all about the bottom storage section of the china cabinet makeover.
I found this little gem about 4 months ago on my very first thrift store shopping spree at Red Racks for a whole $40! As you can tell from the before pictures, this china hutch was in desperate need of a redo, and who was better to give her a face lift then the Hello I Live Here team, right! 😉 This was no small undertaking, as we are still working on this baby because, well you know, a girl likes to change her mind as she goes along on a project, which left this QT a little unfinished and begging for me to get back to work now that we have some warm days.
Our first task was to rip apart (and I do mean rip) the hideous old and bulky trim molding and round crown that embellished this hidden beauty. Believe it or not, this old trim was really built to last, real wood trim custom made and heavy duty! Each trim piece was connected using sturdy dowels and needless to say, it took some muscle to remove the trim, but we made it happen ;-). After the trim was removed, we also removed the three doors. We made sure to save the hardware and the old trims just in case it came in handy with a future project, as we all say – don’t toss today what you may need tomorrow!
Next up for our china cabinet makeover we added some modern and decorative trim that matched the top part of the cabinet (we really wanted more of that boxy look that was more cottage appearance on this piece). The trim was purchased from The Home Depot. We selected trim profiles that fit the design of our villa. Each trim piece was cut on our Ryobi 10″ laser light miter saw at a 45 degree angle and nailed into place with our trusty Ryobi nail gun (which by the way our shop cannot live without either tool ;-)) We added new center railings for the new doors, and side moldings to each side as shown above and below.
After the trim was done, our china cabinet makeover was starting to take shape. We used Bondo all-purpose putty to cover any nail holes, and joining trim pieces we added to the sides (that new square side boarder we just love spiffed up those sides like Cinderella going to a ball). Once the Bondo dried, we sanded with our Ryobi Corner Cat Sander, and an 80 grit sand paper, followed by a 120 grit to give it the smooth appearance.
Once the sanding was completed, we primed the newly installed pieces, using a bare wood primer by Valspar in white. Primer is important when you are using raw woods. If you paint and the wood has not been sealed with primer, it tends to suck in the paint, taking up to 3 coats to cover, so always prime bare wood. That was all I could complete today on this wonderful piece for tonight everyone, but I promise it will not take six more months to finish this series. 🙂
Part III will show you our next elements we added to the new looks, and that wonderful little surprise that will introduce this old piece to the 21st century! Hope you like the progress so far everyone! Have a great night!